- Professor of Practice: Artist, University of Miami Department of Art and Art History, and serving in the university’s Abess Center for Ecosystem Science and Policy, College of Arts and Sciences, Miami Business School, Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences (RSMAS), School of Architecture, School of Communication, and School of Law.
- Artist-in-Residence, Pinecrest Gardens (2017-present)
- Visiting Professor/Adminstator/Artist-in-Residence, Florida International University (2011-2018) College of Communication, Architecture + The Arts (CARTA) and College of Arts, Sciences & Education (CASE) | School of Environment, Arts and Society (SEAS)
- Professional Artist (1997-present)
- Juris Doctor, University of Miami School of Law Coral Gables, FL (1991).
- Master of Public Administration, University of Miami Graduate School, Coral Gables, FL (1991).
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, University of Miami College of Arts & Sciences, Coral Gables, FL (1986).
SELECTED MUSEUM COLLECTIONS
- Permanent collection of the Perez Art Museum Miami
- Permanent collection of the NSU Museum of Art Ft. Lauderdale
- Permanent collection of the Whatcom Museum
- Permanent collection of the Patricia and Philip Frost Art Museum
- Permanent collection of the MDC Museum of Art + Design
- The World Bank
- Department of State Art Collection, State of Florida
SELECTED PUBLIC ART COMMISSIONS
- 2013-18 Miami-Dade Housing Authority, nine sites, Miami, FL
- 2012-15 Broward County Public Art and Design Program, Port Everglades Terminal 2 and 4, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- 2012 Miami-Dade Art in Public Places, City of Miami Gardens Aquatic Center, Miami Gardens, FL
- 2008 State of Florida Art in State Buildings, Frost Art Museum, Miami, FL
- 2008 Monroe County Art in Public Places, Upper Keys Government Center, FL
- 2008 Pinellas County Art in Public Places, Florida Botanical Gardens, Largo, FL
- 2007 Monroe County Art in Public Places North Key Largo Fire Station, Key Largo, FL
- H. J. Andrews Experimental Forest Artist-in Residence (Oregon), 2016
- NEA & Kennedy Center: Future of Arts & Creativity in America Convening, (DC), 2016
- Arts in Democracy Research Exchange | Kettering Foundation (Dayton, OH), 2016
- Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest Artist-in Residence (New Hampshire), 2016
- The Robert Rauschenberg Residency: Rising Waters Confab (Captiva, FL), 2015
- Flower Power: Cultivando / Flowers for Cuba, The Studios Key West, Key West, FL, 2014
- Art for the Compact Muon Solenoid in CERN’s Large Hadron Collider, Geneva, Switzerland, 2013
- Cintas Fellowship in Art, Finalist 2012-13
- Arts Alliance of Northern New Hampshire Artist-in Residence, White Mountain National Forest, NH, 2012
- BLOOM at Kaohsiung International Container Art Festival, Kaohsiung Museum of Fine Arts, Taiwan, 2011
- The Coral Eco-Art projects, Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, ECHO (Education through Cultural and Historic Organizations), Honolulu, Hawaii, 2010
- Paths and Traces/Chemins et Tracés, Fondation Derouin – Symposium 2009, Les Jardins du Précambrien, Val-David, Quebec, Canada, 2009
- Kunst- en natuurwandeling OverLeven, Foundation Nature Art Drenthe (Stichting Natuurkunst Drenthe), Drenthe, The Netherlands, 2009
- 90N (North Pole) Installations, New York Foundation for the Arts, NYFA sponsored artist, 2008.
- Art in Antarctica (South Pole Installations), National Science Foundation Antarctic Artists and Writers Program, 2006-2007
- Prior grantors also include:
U.S. State Department, USAID, State of Florida Division of Cultural Affairs, Miami-Dade Cultural Affairs Council, Miami-Dade Art in Public Places
- University of Miami Alumni Association, Board of Directors (2017-present)
- South Arts, Board of Directors, Atlanta, GA (2016-present)
- Vice Chair (2012), Florida Council on Arts and Culture, Tallahassee, FL (2008-2012)
- Councilor, Miami-Dade Cultural Affairs Council, Miami, FL (2005-present)
- Member, City of Miami Arts and Entertainment Council, Miami, FL (past)
- Executive Committee, Miami-Dade Community Relations Board (CRB) (past)
In recent years, Cortada has delivered formal lectures about his art at:
White House, Washington, D.C. (2015) | TEDxFIU, Miami, FL (2013) | Gulf Coast State College, Panama City, FL (2013) | Vero Beach Museum of Art, Vero Beach, FL (2013) | Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, FL (2014) | University of Florida, Gainesville, FL (2014) | Harn Museum, Gainesville, FL (2013) | CERN, Geneva, Switzerland (2013) | Florida Museum of Natural History, Tallahassee, FL (2013) | Auburn University, Auburn, AL (2009) | Exploratorium (at the Palace of Fine Arts), San Francisco, CA (2009) | NKNU Graduate Institute of Interdisciplinary Art, Kaohsiung, Taiwan (2011) | Parsons The New School for Design, New York, NY (2011) | Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA (2008) | Princeton University, Princeton, NJ (2010) | San Jose State University, San Jose, CA (2010) | United States Embassy, Helsinki, Finland (2008) | University of South Florida St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg, FL (2011) | White Mountain National Forest, Campton, NH (2012)
SELECTED GROUP and SOLO EXHIBITS:
- 2018 “Endangered Species: Artists on the Front Line of Biodiversity,” Whatcom Museum, Bellingham, WA
- 2018 “Vanishing Ice: Alpine and Polar Landscapes in Art 1775-2012,” Weisman Art Museum, Minneapolis, MN
- 2018 Florida is…, The Frank, Pembroke Pines, FL
- 2018 “Arrived,” Lighthouse ArtCenter Gallery, Tequesta, FL
- 2017 “Temperature Check: Body of Evidence,” MACLA, San Jose, CA
- 2017 DEERING SPRING CONTEMPORARY “PLATFORM 450” exhibit, Deering Estate, Palmetto Bay, FL
- 2017 Elements of Climate Change, CCSU Galleries, New Britain, CT
- 2015 CLIMA, Milander Center, Hialeah, FL
- 2015 The National Weather Center Biennale, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK
- 2015 Anthroposcene: Art and Nature in a Manufactured Era, University of Miami CAS Gallery, Miami, FL
- 2015 Vanishing Ice: Alpine and Polar Landscapes in Art, 1775 – 2012, McMichael Canadian Art Collection, Ontario, CA
- 2015 Fermilab Art Gallery presents Art @ CMS, Fermilab, Batavia, IL
- 2014 Littoral Creatures, Broward College, Davie, FL
- 2014 Flower Power: Cultivando | Flowers for Cuba, Oldest House and Garden Museum, Key West, FL
- 2013 The “500 Exhibit”, Marjorie Stoneman Douglas Biscayne Nature Preserve Gallery, Key Biscayne, FL
- 2011 BLOOM: Kaohsuing International Container Art Festival, Kaohsuing Museum of Art, Kaohsuing, Taiwan
- 2010 Sequentia, Frost Art Museum, Miami, FL
- 2010 The Liberators Project/Liberadores (Denver Biennial of the Americas), Museo de las Americas, Denver, CO
- 2009 Water: Three States, Auburn University Art Gallery, Auburn, AL
- 2009 Polar Identity, Works Gallery, San Jose, CA
- 2009 Antarctica: Collection from the Bottom of the World, Maryland Science Center, Baltimore, MD.
- 2008 Polar Attractions, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.
- 2008 EPA (Environmental Performance Actions), EXIT ART, New York, NY.
- 2007 Weather Report, Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art, Boulder, CO — curated by Lucy Lippard.
- 2007 Envisioning Change, presented by the Natural World Museum and the United Nations
- Environment Programme at the Nobel Peace Center, Oslo, Norway (June-August), and the BOZAR Center
- for Fine Arts, Brussels, Belgium (October- December), and the Ministry of Culture in Monaco (2008).2006 Miami in Transition, Miami Art Museum, Miami, FL
- 12 Artists On: Climate Change, New York Times | T Magazine, Aug 27, 2018
- Art in the Anthropocene, by Alan C. Braddock and Renée Ater. Source: American Art, Vol. 28, No. 3 (Fall 2014), p. cover2. Published by the Smithsonian American Art Museum.
- Painting the Genome for the Public, Science, 4 February 2011: Vol. 331 no. 6017 p. 548.
- Green Museum, by Allison Compton, Public Art Review, Issue 40, pp 52-55 (Spring/Summer 2009).
- Global Warnings, by Suzaan Boettger, Art in America, Issue No. 6, pp. 154-161, 206-207, June/July 2008.
- Kunsthaus Miami exhibit. Review by Milagros Bello. Published in arte al día (International Magazine of Contemporary Latin American Art), edition 119, (July 2007).