- ArtCARE: Outreach to Juveniles in Adult Jails — National Art Education Association reception at the Artist’s studio. *The exhibit is co-presented by Miami-Dade Art in Public Places and by the Law Offices of Public Defender Bennett H. Brummer (in the 11th Judicial Circuit of Florida). It is also co-sponsored by Miami-Dade Department of Cultural Affairs
March 24, 2002
- Xavier Cortada traveled to Salt Lake City, Utah to work with participants of the Points of Light Foundation Annual Conference in the creation of a message mural titled, Sharing the American Spirit.
June 9 – 11, 2002
- “Estampitas Religiosas” a solo exhibit of religious paintings at Divine Word Mission Gallery, 1835 Waukegan Road Techny, Illinois.
June 3 – August 31, 2002
- University of Miami Children and Youth Law Clinic: Voice Project worked with adolescents in a South Florida residential psychiatric treatment facility to create “Trapped,” a collaborative mural that captured their voices and concerns. The mural was presented at the Florida Bar Public Interest Law Section Luncheon during the Florida Bar Annual Meeting in the Boca Raton, FL.
June 21, 2002
- HEINEKEN USA & THE LATIN AMERICAN ART MUSEUM INVITE YOU TO A SPECIAL SNEAK PREVIEW & RECEPTION. Featuring renowned artist Xavier Cortada and his newly created mural celebrating Miami. LATIN AMERICAN ART MUSEUM, 2206 SW 8th Street, Miami, FL
July 12, 2002
- During June and July 2002, Xavier Cortada travelled to Vincennes, Indiana to work with Indiana Teen Institute 2002 Conference participants to create the “Don’t be a target (…rise from the Ashes)” murals.The collaborative murals, measuring 18 feet in length, were aimed at preventing teenagers from using tobacco.
June – July 2002
- Creation of “Rebuilt,” a collaborative mural commemorating the 10th Anniversary of Hurricane Andrew, Homestead, Florida.
August 24, 2002
- Xavier Cortada was a candidate for Circuit Judge during much of 2002.
- Creation of the “GIVING VOICE TO FAMILIES” Community Mural, New York City.
September 12 -14, 2002
- Xavier Cortada created the official mural for The White House Conference on Minority Homeownership, Washington, D.C.
October 15, 2002
- Creation of the “Weaving the Family Tapestry” mesage mural with attendees of the 60th AAMFT (American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy) Annual Conference in Cincinnati, OH.
October 24-27, 2002
- Xavier Cortada will serve as the Keynote Speaker for the Heartland Latino Leadership Conference in Omaha, Nebraska. During the keynote address, Cortada will also unveil his “Familia Unida” painting, a work commissioned by the conference for its official poster.
November 1, 2002
- Dedication of the “Hues of Love“ Alzheimer’s mural at the University of Miami School of Medicine Department of Neurology.
November 12, 2002
- Ancestors: Origin of Community an installation by Marvin Weeks and Xavier Cortada (with works exhibited by Purvis Young) at the historic Lyric Theater in Miami’s Overtown Community.
November 30, 2002 @ 7:00 pm – December 8, 2002
- Private reception hosted by the Honorable Mel Martinez, Secretary of the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, to unveil the collaborative mural created by Xavier Cortada during the White House Conference on Minority Homeownership. The reception took place in the Office of the Secretary, Washington, D.C.
December 3rd, 2002
- Artist’s opening reception featuring the Green exhibit –as well as selected pieces from the “Ancestors: Origin of Community“ installation– in his studio at Casa Grande Cultural Center.
December 12, 2002 @ 7:00 p.m.
- Creation of the “We are Family“ mural during the American Cancer Association Florida Chapter’s ROCK (Reaching out to Cancer Kids) Weekend, at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort in Orlando, FL.
December 13-15, 2002
- Artwork by Hispanic Artists, a group show curated by Lucy Keshavarz for the Rotating Art Exhibition Program at the Aventura Government Center (19200 W. Country Club Drive, Aventura, FL)
December 20th, 2002 – January 29, 2003