- This event has passed.
Cortada Art Studio Gallery opening @ Bird Road Art District!
January 19, 2017 @ 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
You are cordially invited to attend the opening of the
Cortada Art Studio Gallery
Bird Road Art District
4664 SW 75th Avenue
Miami, FL 33155
Thursday, January 19th, 2017
from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm
Xavier Cortada will be exhibiting a series of ceramic and tile works depicting diatoms.
Diatoms are single-celled organisms that live in the water and harness the power of the sun to convert CO2 into oxygen. Its glass shell, all that remains from the diatom, is used by scientists today to see what was as they research environmental issues crucial to the city in the century to come. Scientists—and artists—can determine the past salinity of water by examining the shells of diatoms preserved in sedimentary core samples. Each diatom species has a different salinity preference, so changes in the mixture of fresh and sea water (driven by sea level and changes in water management) can be inferred from past diatom remains.
During the opening reception, the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy invites attendees to participate in Cortada’s “DO NOT OPEN” performance. The work was first exhibited last year during the CLIMA exhibit. Here are the instructions.
- Walk up to the “Do Not Open” wall in the exhibit.
- Close your eyes: Imagine your city in the future. Imagine how rising seas will impact it and those who will live here then.
- Think about what you would like them to know. Think about what you believe someone living in 2041, 2066, 2116 or 2216 will need to hear from someone living in 2016.
- Unclip a blank piece of paper and envelope from the wall and use a pencil to write it all down: Tell them who you are. Tell them why you are writing to them. Sign it. Date it.
- Fold the letter in two, kiss it, place it in the envelope and seal it.
- On the outside of the envelope write only one of these four phrases:
“DO NOT OPEN: 25 years”
“DO NOT OPEN: 50 years”
“DO NOT OPEN: 100 years”
“DO NOT OPEN: 200 years”
- Clip the sealed envelope to the “Do Not Open” wall with the words facing out.
- Stare at your envelope for 25 seconds, 50 seconds, 100 seconds, or 200 seconds.
- Think of how your words will be received in the future.
- Walk away