Cortada works: Do Not Open | Climate Refugees | Hot for Hialeah | Psychoanalysis of Climate Change | Reclamation Project | Flor 500
LTER : Everglades (Florida) | HJ Andrews (Oregon) | Hubbard Brook (New Hampshire)
DO NOT OPEN: Participant Instructions | Artist’s Poem
- Walk up to the “Do Not Open” wall in the CLIMA exhibit.
- Close your eyes: Imagine your city in the future. Imagine how rising seas will impact it and those who will live here then.
- Think about what you would like them to know. Think about what you believe someone living in 2041, 2066, 2116 or 2216 will need to hear from someone living in 2016.
- Unclip a blank piece of paper and envelope from the wall and use a pencil to write it all down: Tell them who you are. Tell them why you are writing to them. Sign it. Date it.
- Fold the letter in two, kiss it, place it in the envelope and seal it.
- On the outside of the envelope write only one of these four phrases:
“DO NOT OPEN: 25 years”
“DO NOT OPEN: 50 years”
“DO NOT OPEN: 100 years”
“DO NOT OPEN: 200 years”
- Clip the sealed envelope to the “Do Not Open” wall with the words facing out.
- Stare at your envelope for 25 seconds, 50 seconds, 100 seconds, or 200 seconds.
- Think of how your words will be received in the future.
- Walk away
Workshop with Seniors
Wednesday, December 7th, 2016 at 10 am
Milander Center for Arts & Entertainment