The Underwater Homeowners Association aims to generate awareness on rising sea levels, and engage Floridians to take action against climate change by providing a space where homeowners can address its impending impacts. Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of every month at the Hibiscus Gallery in Pinecrest Gardens.
AUGUST 4 – How We Can Stabilize Sea Level Rise
with Dr. John Van Leer, Physical Oceonography, University of Miami
July 7 – Sustainable and Durable Concrete
with Dr. Prannoy Suraneni, Assistant Professor, Civil, Architectural, and Environmental Engineering Department, University of Miami
June 2 – Applying Citizen Science and Exploration to Sea Level Rise
with Dr. Keene Haywood, Senior Lecturer at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
May 5 – The Climate Crisis from a Youth Perspective
with Gabriela Rodriguez, Program Coordinator, The CLEO Institute
April 7 – Sustainability at the University of Miami
with Teddy L’Houtellier, Sustainability Manager, University of Miami
March 3 – Coastal Resiliency Innovations & Community Engagement
with Dr. Esber Andiroglu, Associate Professor of Practice, Department of Civil, Architectural, and Environmental Engineering, University of Miami
February 3 – Adapting to Sea Level Rise in Miami-Dade County
with Katherine Hagemann, Resilience Program Manager for Adaptation for Miami-Dade County
January 6 – Transformative Advances in Environmental and Ocean Sciences
with Brian Haus, Ph.D., Professor, Chair of the Department of Ocean Sciences at the University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
December 2 – Reading Between the lines: data visualization and climate changewith Alberto Cairo, Ph.D., Author, Lecturer, and Professor at the University of Miami School of Communication
November 4 – Now what?with Xavier Cortada, Artist & Underwater HOA Founder
October 7 – Hurricanes and Climate Change: Impacts for South Floridawith Brian Soden, Ph.D., Professor of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
September 2 – Environmental Impacts and Resource Dependency of Digital/Online Culturewith Hunter Vaughan, Ph.D., Author, media scholar, and Environmental Media Scholar-in-Residence at University of Colorado Boulder
August 5 – Research Projects of Coastal Protection and Adaptationwith Landolf Rhode-Barbarigos, Ph.D., Assistant Professor at the Department of Civil, Architectural, and Environmental Engineering, University of Miami School of Engineering.
July 1 – Assessing the Vulnerability of Coastal Buildings to Storm-surge Floodingwith Sonia Chao, Professor and Director of the Center for Urban & Community Design, University of Miami School of Architecture.
June 3 – Emerging Climate Trends & Predictionswith Dr. Ben Kirtman, Professor of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Miami’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.
May 6 – Conversations with the UHOACortada Projects is excited to be bringing the UHOA to an online platform where it will provide a space for the community to come together, reflect on our collective situation, and work together for a brighter future.
April 1 – Planning for Earth Day 2070 (Cancelled due to COVID-19)Exploring how we can use the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day to mobilize people to prepare and plan for the impacts of climate change in the 50 years to come.
March 4 – The Future of Flood InsuranceDiscussion and presentation on the future of flood insurance in the era of sea level rise and climate change.
February 5 – 2020 Planning MeetingJoin artist Xavier Cortada and community members in a discussion to reflect on the last year of Underwater HOA’s activities.
- January 9, 2019 – Inaugural Meeting at the Hibiscus Gallery
- February 6, 2019 – Equitable Solutions
- March 6, 2019 – Water & Sewer Infrastructure
- April 4, 2019 – Tiffany Troxler, Director of Science for the Sea Level Solutions Center
- May 1, 2019 – Net-Zero Water Projects
- June 5, 2019 – Miami Climate Month
- July 27, 2019 – Underwater Climate Rally
- August 7, 2019 – Brian Haus, University of Miami Chair of Ocean Sciences
- September 4, 2019 – LCV to Cortada Projects
- October 2, 2019 – Focus Group on Resilient 305
- November 6, 2019 – Katharine Mach, University of Miami Climate Scientist
- December 5, 2019 – Underwater HOA at UNTITLED, ART Fair’s “Futurescape Miami: Skyline to Shoreline”
- November 2019 – Underwater HOA Meeting with Katharine Mach
- December 2019 – Underwater HOA Meeting at UNTITLED Art Fair
- February 2020 – Underwater HOA Planning Meeting
- February 2020 – Meeting Recap
- March 2020 – Future of Flood Insurance
- May 2020 – Underwater HOA: Conversations
- May 2020 – Underwater HOA: Conversations Recap
- June 2020 – Emerging Climate Trends and Predictions
- June 2020 – Emerging Climate Trends and Predictions Recap