- Professional Artist (1997-present)
- Artist-in-Residence, Pinecrest Gardens (2017-present)
- Artist-in-Residence, Florida International University (2011-2018)
College of Communication, Architecture + The Arts (CARTA)
College of Arts, Sciences & Education (CASE) | School of Environment, Arts and Society (SEAS)
- Juris Doctor, University of Miami School of Law Coral Gables, FL (1991).
- Master of Public Administration, University of Miami Graduate School, Coral Gables, FL (1991).
- Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, University of Miami College of Arts & Sciences, Coral Gables, FL (1986).
SELECTED MUSEUM COLLECTIONS
- Permanent collection of the Perez Art Museum Miami
- Permanent collection of the NSU Museum of Art Ft. Lauderdale
- Permanent collection of the Whatcom Museum
- Permanent collection of the Patricia and Philip Frost Art Museum
- Permanent collection of the MDC Museum of Art + Design
- The World Bank
- Department of State Art Collection, State of Florida
SELECTED PUBLIC ART COMMISSIONS
- 2013-18 Miami-Dade Housing Authority, nine sites, Miami, FL
- 2012-15 Broward County Public Art and Design Program, Port Everglades Terminal 2 and 4, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- 2012 Miami-Dade Art in Public Places, City of Miami Gardens Aquatic Center, Miami Gardens, FL
- 2008 State of Florida Art in State Buildings, Frost Art Museum, Miami, FL
- 2008 Monroe County Art in Public Places, Upper Keys Government Center, FL
- 2008 Pinellas County Art in Public Places, Florida Botanical Gardens, Largo, FL
- 2007 Monroe County Art in Public Places North Key Largo Fire Station, Key Largo, FL
- H. J. Andrews Experimental Forest Artist-in Residence (Oregon), 2016
- NEA & Kennedy Center: Future of Arts & Creativity in America Convening, (DC), 2016
- Arts in Democracy Research Exchange | Kettering Foundation (Dayton, OH), 2016
- Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest Artist-in Residence (New Hampshire), 2016
- The Robert Rauschenberg Residency: Rising Waters Confab (Captiva, FL), 2015
- Flower Power: Cultivando / Flowers for Cuba, The Studios Key West, Key West, FL, 2014
- Art for the Compact Muon Solenoid in CERN’s Large Hadron Collider, Geneva, Switzerland, 2013
- Cintas Fellowship in Art, Finalist 2012-13
- Arts Alliance of Northern New Hampshire Artist-in Residence, White Mountain National Forest, NH, 2012
- BLOOM at Kaohsiung International Container Art Festival, Kaohsiung Museum of Fine Arts, Taiwan, 2011
- The Coral Eco-Art projects, Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, ECHO (Education through Cultural and Historic Organizations), Honolulu, Hawaii, 2010
- Paths and Traces/Chemins et Tracés, Fondation Derouin – Symposium 2009, Les Jardins du Précambrien, Val-David, Quebec, Canada, 2009
- Kunst- en natuurwandeling OverLeven, Foundation Nature Art Drenthe (Stichting Natuurkunst Drenthe), Drenthe, The Netherlands, 2009
- 90N (North Pole) Installations, New York Foundation for the Arts, NYFA sponsored artist, 2008.
- Art in Antarctica (South Pole Installations), National Science Foundation Antarctic Artists and Writers Program, 2006-2007
- Prior grantors also include:
U.S. State Department, USAID, State of Florida Division of Cultural Affairs, Miami-Dade Cultural Affairs Council, Miami-Dade Art in Public Places
- University of Miami Alumni Association, Board of Directors (2017-present)
- South Arts, Board of Directors, Atlanta, GA (2016-present)
- Vice Chair (2012), Florida Council on Arts and Culture, Tallahassee, FL (2008-2012)
- Councilor, Miami-Dade Cultural Affairs Council, Miami, FL (2005-present)
- Member, City of Miami Arts and Entertainment Council, Miami, FL (past)
- Executive Committee, Miami-Dade Community Relations Board (CRB) (past)
In recent years, Cortada has delivered formal lectures about his art at:
White House, Washington, D.C. (2015) | TEDxFIU, Miami, FL (2013) | Gulf Coast State College, Panama City, FL (2013) | Vero Beach Museum of Art, Vero Beach, FL (2013) | Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers, FL (2014) | University of Florida, Gainesville, FL (2014) | Harn Museum, Gainesville, FL (2013) | CERN, Geneva, Switzerland (2013) | Florida Museum of Natural History, Tallahassee, FL (2013) | Auburn University, Auburn, AL (2009) | Exploratorium (at the Palace of Fine Arts), San Francisco, CA (2009) | NKNU Graduate Institute of Interdisciplinary Art, Kaohsiung, Taiwan (2011) | Parsons The New School for Design, New York, NY (2011) | Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA (2008) | Princeton University, Princeton, NJ (2010) | San Jose State University, San Jose, CA (2010) | United States Embassy, Helsinki, Finland (2008) | University of South Florida St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg, FL (2011) | White Mountain National Forest, Campton, NH (2012)
SELECTED GROUP and SOLO EXHIBITS:
- 2018 “Endangered Species: Artists on the Front Line of Biodiversity,” Whatcom Museum, Bellingham, WA
- 2018 “Vanishing Ice: Alpine and Polar Landscapes in Art 1775-2012,” Weisman Art Museum, Minneapolis, MN
- 2018 Florida is…, The Frank, Pembroke Pines, FL
- 2018 “Arrived,” Lighthouse ArtCenter Gallery, Tequesta, FL
- 2017 “Temperature Check: Body of Evidence,” MACLA, San Jose, CA
- 2017 DEERING SPRING CONTEMPORARY “PLATFORM 450” exhibit, Deering Estate, Palmetto Bay, FL
- 2017 Elements of Climate Change, CCSU Galleries, New Britain, CT
- 2015 CLIMA, Milander Center, Hialeah, FL
- 2015 The National Weather Center Biennale, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK
- 2015 Anthroposcene: Art and Nature in a Manufactured Era, University of Miami CAS Gallery, Miami, FL
- 2015 Vanishing Ice: Alpine and Polar Landscapes in Art, 1775 – 2012, McMichael Canadian Art Collection, Ontario, CA
- 2015 Fermilab Art Gallery presents Art @ CMS, Fermilab, Batavia, IL
- 2014 Littoral Creatures, Broward College, Davie, FL
- 2014 Flower Power: Cultivando | Flowers for Cuba, Oldest House and Garden Museum, Key West, FL
- 2013 The “500 Exhibit”, Marjorie Stoneman Douglas Biscayne Nature Preserve Gallery, Key Biscayne, FL
- 2011 BLOOM: Kaohsuing International Container Art Festival, Kaohsuing Museum of Art, Kaohsuing, Taiwan
- 2010 Sequentia, Frost Art Museum, Miami, FL
- 2010 The Liberators Project/Liberadores (Denver Biennial of the Americas), Museo de las Americas, Denver, CO
- 2009 Water: Three States, Auburn University Art Gallery, Auburn, AL
- 2009 Polar Identity, Works Gallery, San Jose, CA
- 2009 Antarctica: Collection from the Bottom of the World, Maryland Science Center, Baltimore, MD.
- 2008 Polar Attractions, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.
- 2008 EPA (Environmental Performance Actions), EXIT ART, New York, NY.
- 2007 Weather Report, Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art, Boulder, CO — curated by Lucy Lippard.
- 2007 Envisioning Change, presented by the Natural World Museum and the United Nations
- Environment Programme at the Nobel Peace Center, Oslo, Norway (June-August), and the BOZAR Center
- for Fine Arts, Brussels, Belgium (October- December), and the Ministry of Culture in Monaco (2008).2006 Miami in Transition, Miami Art Museum, Miami, FL
- Art in the Anthropocene, by Alan C. Braddock and Renée Ater. Source: American Art, Vol. 28, No. 3 (Fall 2014), p. cover2. Published by the Smithsonian American Art Museum.
- Painting the Genome for the Public, Science, 4 February 2011: Vol. 331 no. 6017 p. 548.
- Green Museum, by Allison Compton, Public Art Review, Issue 40, pp 52-55 (Spring/Summer 2009).
- Global Warnings, by Suzaan Boettger, Art in America, Issue No. 6, pp. 154-161, 206-207, June/July 2008.
- Kunsthaus Miami exhibit. Review by Milagros Bello. Published in arte al día (International Magazine of Contemporary Latin American Art), edition 119, (July 2007).